[ExI] property

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 10:07:08 UTC 2008

Bryan wrote
>What is ownership, and prove to me that it is a
>property of the
>universe, except in socio-stuff.
>
>- Bryan

Well, a great many animals show territorial behaviour.
Checking our favourite resource, wikipedia: the
article on ownership is badly short on references, so
I won't quote it. However,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_behaviour

states many prosimians display territorial behaviour.
So, ownership would appear to be a property that our
branch of the evolutionary tree is prone to. I don't
know whether Bryan is using "socio-stuff" to apply to
ALL behavioural & social studies, and in doing so
disregarding large chunks of biology, or whether he is
referring to learned patterns of behaviour that some
call "culture" and some call "memes". Judging by
primate behaviour, I think ownership is too deeply
hardwired into our brain to be considered learned.

Tom