[ExI] Yesterday's Mashed Potatoes

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 11:54:18 UTC 2008

On 20/04/2008, ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:

> Well, if that was the case, something was wrong with the replacement
>  process!
>  Replacing your neurons with synthetic equivalents would have to involve
>  preservation of their information-processing characteristics and
>  'settings', and therefore your memories.

But there are those who will say that unless the replacement is exact,
i.e. biological tissue rather than an electronic circuit, the brain
won't "feel" the same even though it might behave the same. I would
therefore add to the reading list the following paper by David
Chalmers, a proof that *if* cyborgisation as per Moravec preserves
external behaviour, *then* it must also preserve mental states:

http://consc.net/papers/qualia.html

--
Stathis Papaioannou