[ExI] Blackford and Egan on >H

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 22:17:28 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008, nvitamore at austin.rr.com wrote:
> From: PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
> >I do not subscribe to anything he says, except this particular
> > opinion that the word "transhumanism" does us no favors and a
> > handful of techno-utopians with body issues can give the rest of us
> > a bad rap.
>
> I think that the meaning of "trans" in regards to "transition" has
> been obfuscated to mean "anti".  We are indeed in transition but that
> does not mean we forfeit our species or our humanity.  I am not an
> expert on species theory, but H+ was intended to become another
> species.

Woah, what? Intended to become another species? The definition of
species is breeding compatability, how many 'transhumanists' of that
sort truly care about whether or not they are physically capable of
breeding with another species? Plus, all of the tech that
transhumanists talk about *allow interspecies breeding* in the first
place, so this is nonsensical and mostly impossible. For example, see
how we can cut and splice ecoli dna into our own embryonic cells.

- Bryan