[ExI] Blackford and Egan on >H

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 13:34:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>  where Greg Egan offers remarks such as:
>
>  <The word "transhumanism" (or, even worse, "posthumanism") sounds
>  like a suicide note for the species, which effectively renders it a
>  political suicide note for any movement by that name.
>  And I'm not sure quite how much solidarity I'm compelled to have with
>  someone, just because they've also noticed that we're not going to
>  see out the millennium with physical substrates identical to those
>  we've had for the last 200,000 years. People who think their manifest
>  destiny is to turn Jupiter into computronium so they can play 10^20
>  characters simultaneously in their favourite RPG are infinitely more
>  odious and dangerous ...>

Why, while I must confess that this is quite disconcerting, this is
really a capital example of how "arttistic" works have a life and a
meaning that is entirely independent from the conscious or other
intentions and convictions of their author.

Aldous Huxley, by the way, is IMHO another one.

Stefano Vaj