[ExI] Transhumanism defined, 1937.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Apr 27 06:00:02 UTC 2008

At 09:52 AM 4/25/2008 -0600, Mike LaTorra wrote:

>PREFACE: I came across the (rather lengthy) definition of Transhumanism below

[partial quote:]
>The term 'human' would thus define a certain
>range in the scale of consciousness—something
>like an octave in the scale of electromagnetic
>waves. In that case, the present system implies
>that it is, in principle, possible for a
>conscious being to shift his field of
>consciousness up and down the scale. When such
>an entity is focused within the human octave it
>might be agreed to call him human, but something
>other than human when focused in other octaves.
>Logically, this is simply a matter of definition
>of terms, and I am more than willing to regard
>the human as merely a stage in consciousness,
>provided it is not asserted dogmatically that it
>is impossible for consciousness and
>self-identity to flow from stage to stage. On
>the basis of such a definition this philosophy
>would not be a contribution to Humanism but to Transhumanism."
>
>-- Franklin Merrell-Wolff

This is not, IMO, a *definition* of >H (as
understood here), but rather a mystical posit or
allegation. It might be possible to retcon# this
passage once a truly augmented consciousness
arises on earth, but at the moment this claim
strikes me as unadulterated twaddle. Colin Wilson
would like it, usually a bad sign.

Damien Broderick
#Here I adapt and repurpose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retcon < Retroactive
continuity (or informally retcon) is the
deliberate changing of previously established
facts in a work of serial fiction. The change
itself is informally referred to as a "retcon",
and the act of writing and publishing a retcon is called "retconning". >