[ExI] Call for presentations at International Space Development Conference 2008

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Wed Apr 30 15:02:01 UTC 2008

spike wrote:

> ________________________________
>
> ... [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Kevin
> Freels
>

> 	Amara D. Angelica wrote:
>
> 		I'm chairing a session on May 29 at the National Space
> Society's International Space Development Conference 2008
> (http://www.isdc2008.org/ <http://www.isdc2008.org/> ...
>
> 	This looks like an excellent opportunity for spike to present the
> Midgets to Mars campaign..... I mean, "The benefits of utilizing human
> beings of considerably small stature to reduce space exploration and
> colonization costs and increase efficiency without the need for expensive
> and experimental augmentation."  Kevin
>

> I pitched the idea to a group of aerospace weight engineers.  It didn't sell
> at first.  They had to go home and do the calculations themselves.
>
> spike

They had to go home to do the calculations? When I first mentioned it to
my 12 yr old daughter she thought it was so obvious she was surprised it
hadn't already been done. To her it wasn't "why don't we send really
small people into space?", it was "Why have we been sending full-sized
humans all this time?" She can't do all of the calculations but from her
little experience flying model rockets with me she knows that when you
reduce launch weight, you can reduce fuel which of course reduces the
weight even further.