[ExI] Critter's Dilemma on the African Plain

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Aug 6 05:21:20 UTC 2008

The Avantguardian wrote (Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:43 PM)

> They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I have compiled some wild life
> videos from Africa that I think beautifully illustrate Critter's Dilemma in
> action. Some of these videos are very hard to explain in terms of traditional
> biology but are easily explained by the concept of strategy-shifting in
> Critter's Dilemma. What I want to emphasize is that there is a lot of rational
> decision-making, free agency, and cost-benefit analysis happening in these
> videos if you look closely enough. Evidently the law of the jungle is not quite
> as simple as once thought.

Your case is very persuasive!  Thanks especially, though, for your very, very
excellent summaries below, from those of us a little too impatient to sit through
videos:

> 1. Predator-prey dogma.
> This short video while breathtaking is the "traditional" view of what the
> relationship between a lion and a zebra is. Lion chases, zebra runs, lion
> scores a flawless takedown and enjoys lunch.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGDEnpCgGOI
>
> 2. Predator-prey becomes interspecies competition due to strategy shift.
> This video demonstrates that relationship #1 cannot be taken for granted not
> even by the king (or in this case a queen) of the jungle. Ignore what the
> commentator is saying and simply watch the zebra....

I relegate the rest of Stuart's nice descriptions to the codicil, below.
For now, look at

> Experienced safari guide *forces* lions to ignore him by first by communicating
> submission to them and then threatening to defect on them with a roll of toilet
> paper.

and

> Male human defects on male lion and *barely* escapes retaliation from dying
> lion seeking revenge. Can you feel the love tonight?

You apparently invite us to substitute the game theory term "defect"
for any act of aggression or failure to cooperate?  I have a bad feeling
about that, but cannot put it into words. (Perhaps lucky for me, since
I hope you don't take disagreement or challenge as defection. :-)

Usually the rich variety of words within a language are there for a
reason. They did, after all, evolve, because it's seldom that a government,
(even the French government), or an influential individual will simply
decree usage of words and get away with it.  So we have a lot of
highly nuanced English words that you're deliberately passing up. Well,
of course, maybe we ought to more often look at these things in game
theoretic terms, which may be your point.  But neologisms rarely work
out, you know, along with non-standard language uses.

Still, why look at the human/lion relationship as in any way whatsoever
a classic game?

Lee