[ExI] "Toward a Type 1 civilization" by Michael Shermer

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Sun Aug 10 03:34:52 UTC 2008

Stefano writes

> Lee wrote:
>
> > We want representative democracy. The "real sovereignty" should
> > reside in the mass of people, however deluded, electing somewhat
> > more intelligent and hopefully more thoughtful specimens to debate
> > and consider legislation.  I presume we're all on the same page here.
>
> In general terms, yes. Even though of course this leaves out
> only absolute, hereditary monarchies, and the devil is in the
> details. And there have been and may still exist even peoples
> opting for different systems that enjoyed or enjoy nevertheless
> a widespread popular consensus, leaving others the options
> of military intervention or at least cultural imperialism
> deliberately aimed at undermining such consensus...

Stalin was greatly beloved by the people, and any non-representative
government can either have a monopoly on information, or enjoy
sharing an identity with the nation as a whole to the point that questioning
the leaders is perceived as disloyalty. We need not respect such a
"consensus" in cases like that.  "Beloved Leader."  Ha!

> > Unfortunately, certain nations in which religion is the dominant
> > force will be slow to accept democracy (as opposed to rule by
> > priests, imams, or other holy men. Is this what you were getting at?
>
> Mmhhh, say, as in the United State where self-selected and nominated
> Justice Priests sitting in the Supreme Court have a final say on the local
> and federal legislation based on obscure and unplausible interpreting of
> a sacred document enshrined in the XVIII century?

They're hardly self-selected, unless the "ruling class" here is infinitely
more devious than I suspect. Or than almost anyone suspects. They're
only one branch of the governments, as you know, and the legislature
can simply pass new, very clearly written laws, and the judges would
have no choice but to accept.  In fact, one time Andrew Jackson just
completely ignored them and got away with it.

> Just joking, no offense intended.

Oh, of course!  :-)  Don't worry! You can't offend *me* with any
criticism of the West or criticism of the U.S.!  I will not be offended
by mere ideas, if you will allow me here to take a swipe at those
who are.

Lee