[ExI] Human extinction

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 19:57:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 6:59 PM, hkhenson wrote:
>snip>
> Story background, the evil dweeb hacker from Perth Amboy saved a copy
> of their state vector when they were uploaded.  Their bodies are
> preserved.  The simulation runs at 100 times wall clock, so by the
> time (a week) the poor cop goes in to tell them they are in a fake
> heaven they have been there 2 subjective years.
>
> They are offered:
>
> 1) reloading into their bodies with existing memories.
> 2) termination and reloading of their memories prior to the uploading
> into their physical bodies.
> 3) continuation in their current uploaded environment with memories
> that they are in a fake heaven
> 4) same as 3 but erasing the memory of the cop's visit.
> 5) same as 3 or 4 but forked with the original body being put back on
> the street with no memory of two years in heaven.
>
> Did I miss anything?  What would you do with such an offer?

The technical problem is, How do you define a 'heaven' simulation?

I suspect every rapture believer has a different expectation of
heaven, so the super AGI will have to do a bit of mind reading and
build a different 'heaven' for each believer and populate it
accordingly.

A further problem is that many believer's expectation of heaven might
be rather simplistic and would get boring very quickly. So the AGI has
the further problem of keeping 'heaven' interesting, while still
fitting in with the believer's expectations. (Otherwise 'heaven'
changes into 'hell' in short order).

So, assume the AGI manages to do this and create a fulfilling
environment for everyone.
Isn't this exactly what everyone wants? Believer or unbeliever?

The poor cop would go in and never come out again.

BillK

P.S.  Get those 73 virgins ready!   ;)

P.P.S.  I've often wondered what they promise female suicide bombers?