[ExI] Human extinction

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 23:58:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> So you don't believe people should have the right to decide whether they
> want to be uploaded or even backed up?  Are you sure you want to go there?
>  I can see arguments for such a position but it flies in the face of freedom
> of choice.  It is a particular instance of the elitist authoritarian
> assumption that you know better and that you should implement your decision
> "for their own good".

I am very wary of things done "for my own good", and I think people
are, or should be, perfectly free to suicide, or wait for some
occurrence independent from their will to terminate their life.

The point however is: what harm exactly involves a non-destructive
copy of the data that an individual is made of, as far as she, or her
"freedom of choice", are concerned?

A harm to "Copyright"? "Privacy"? "Right to Uniqueness"?

And what real difference would it make in comparison with a
Turing-"good enough" reconstruction/emulation of its identity that be
performed without resorting to procedures such as a brain scan?

Stefano Vaj