[ExI] Human extinction

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 12:35:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:42 AM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> While I'd never phrase it that way, yes, I do agree that people should have
> "the right" to decide, much in the
> way that people ought to be free to kill themselves (under
> suitable protocols) if they wish.

Once more, what harm exactly a non-destructive "upload" would inflict on
them or their freedom to self-determination, suicide included? This would
not prevent them in the least to go out and shoot themselves in the head.

Would we be denying them a hypothetical "right to oblivion"? But would we be
ready to require that, say, a biographer should be authorised by the
individual concerned to conserve or reconstruct information concerning the
same? Because it is a just matter of quantity and accuracy of the
information collected and reorganised, not really of nature.

Stefano Vaj