[ExI] Human extinction

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Wed Aug 20 13:35:55 UTC 2008

David C. Harris dharris234 at mindspring.com :
>On uterine contractions,
>http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pathphys/endocrine/hypopit/oxytocin.html
>describes the role of oxytocin.  A midwife friend said that oxytocin
>stimulates the contraction of the longitudinal muscles, pushing the baby
>along.  If fear stimulates epinephrine (adrenaline), that hormone causes
>contraction of the circular muscles near the cervix, keeping the baby
>in.  Supportive friends and experienced, trusted, women from the tribe
>can encourage confidence.

David: I know this...

That's why I don't want pitocin to induce labor because that'll break
the system of the longitudinal muscles and circular muscles working
together. If something is administered to push the baby down when the
other parts of the body are not ready, the baby will be bonking her head
which will lead to fetal distress which will lead to more intervention
and so on. What a mess the hospitals do to what is usually a very simple
and natural process.

>I think the purpose of warm water as a
>birthing "medium" is partly for the baby's first experience and partly
>for relaxing the mother.   And there is a hormone called relaxin that
>dilates the cervix.  Genentech considered making it as a drug, during my
>years working there.  All are parts of the natural process of giving birth.

I wish so many wouldn't recommend water birth without the whole picture,
though.

It's just one _small_ aspect of something that a woman _could_ do for
going into deep relaxation to support the uterine muscles working as
they should. Don't treat water like a magical medium. The uterine
muscles are extremely sensitive to the woman's emotions. I already know
that from my ultrasounds; I can see what the muscles are doing according
to what circumstances are occurring in the examination room. Just like I
learned 15 years ago that I can teach my muscles to relax and let go
(with biofeedback, for my repetitive strain injury), I know that I can
learn relaxation methods to teach my body to give birth without pain. I
have the knowledge in my head, in November, I'll have the knowledge in
my body after my courses. The big picture is in the woman's body, what
she can learn to allow her body to do, not in the medium.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado