[ExI] Got blog!

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:43:53 UTC 2008

>>> 2 - Pak System, an general, free automatic update system, with
>>> multiple client and server sides. Crucially, it'll have a lot of
>>> intelligence about plugin dependencies and related issues, and manage
>>> the interactions between versions and dependency trees. It's a hard
>>> problem that I'm trying to keep simple as possible :-)
>>
>> How is this not like APT, yum, portage, etc.? Just wondering if you're
>> doing something the wheel hasn't yet.
>
> Now I will admit my ignorance when it comes to these. I'll go look at
> them in depth. I have some very specific ideas about dependency
> management, but maybe they already do this. I'll shut up and go look.
>

>> - Bryan

Ok, the short answer here is "windows".

Surely there are some equivalent systems for windows? It's not easy to
find anything useful (there are some references here:
http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=10848.0, but
nothing looks very competent).

Why is Windows so crapulous at package management? I think the short
answer is that its culture is commercial software, and that breaks a
lot of things. Package management just goes totally to crap if you are
also worried about user licenses, and getting people to pay for stuff.

(btw if someone knows of a good free package management system for
Windows, do pipe up)

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com - my home