[ExI] Vinge finally cracks the NYT

Daniel Grisinger daniel at netgods.net
Thu Aug 28 05:09:23 UTC 2008

Emlyn wrote:

> I can't really explain this, but I've been getting a sense of ...
> momentum in the online environment recently. It feels different to
> what we've seen before, like isolated strands are starting to lock
> together, feedback loops kicking off. Like the point in a film where
> the urgent, tension building music begins, very quietly, so you'd
> barely sense it. I really don't have anything much very concrete to
> add, except that the free culture movement seems important to it.

You aren't the only one.  I know many of my friends irl have commented
on it recently.  And I think you're right that the overall free culture
movement is the biggest piece of that, but I think that it's
specifically the rise of maker culture that is doing it.  I think reprap
is probably going to be retroactively recognized as being as important
as Gutenberg.

Cheers!

daniel

ps- I think this is the first time I've ever posted to exi-chat, but
I've been reading for years.  Hi, all!  I can't even begin to explain
how much I've learned from all of you, how much I appreciate that, or
how amazing I still find it that things such as transhumanist mailing
lists actually exist.  I have to pinch myself sometimes to remind myself
that, similarity to the political and social tools Card introduced me to
when Peter and Valentine blogged their way to global dictatorship be
damned, I'm actually *not* suddenly living in a science fiction novel.  :-)