[ExI] Vinge finally cracks the NYT

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 09:13:55 UTC 2008

On Thursday 28 August 2008, BillK wrote:
> Kids these days!  ;)   They think the world started in 1990!

1968, right?

> 'X is not on the Internet' is not the same as 'X doesn't exist'.

This includes references /to/ X in this case.

> People have been tinkering with printing for centuries. From huge
> printing presses down to anarchist leaflets. You need to visit
> printing museums or libraries.

Libraries are usually indexed now, on the internet, you see.

> P.S.
> And,  (rant) what's even worse is kids doing Google searches and
> assuming that if what they want isn't in the first twenty results -
> then it doesn't exist!!  (rant end).   ;)

Hold it. Let me set the record straight. I keep an intense routine of
doing tens of thousands of searches -- my logs from Google alone are
near 30,000 queries sent to them, this isn't including the number of
results that I've processed. At 100 results per page, and with the
fancy autoloading search result javascripts I'm thinking that 20
results are peanuts here.

http://heybryan.org/shots/June12th02007_Firefox_interface.wmv

Just setting the record straight here ..

I try to do the most exhaustive searches I can on nearly anything, so if
you want to contribute some references or something, that would be
awesome.

- Bryan