[ExI] who should white shoot?

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Aug 29 02:15:56 UTC 2008

> On Behalf Of The Avantguardian
> Subject: Re: [ExI] who should white shoot?
>

> --- Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I assume this question to be not only about the probability of
> > accurate marksmanship, but also about each person's
> estimation of who
> > the remaining shooters would choose to shoot.  Are we to
> assume that a
> > successful hit necessarily means death?  If not, the scenario could
> > become quite absurd when a fatally wounded-but-not-yet-dead
> gunslinger
> > waits for his turn to shoot another nearly dead gunslinger.
>
> My understanding is that it is a duel, not a shootout at the
> OK Corral. That would mean one bullet each with no reloading.
>
> Stuart LaForge

Avant, let me clarify the question.  Each player has arbitrarily many
bullets.  Any hit anywhere instantly slays the unfortunate gunslinger.  They
start with Mr. White, then they take turns with Brown following White and
Black to follow Brown, continuing the murderous game until a single prole
walks away with two cooling corpses behind.

One person has sent me the what I think is the right answer offlist but did
not offer the reasoning behind it.  I calculated the actual numbers, which I
will provide shortly.