[ExI] My resignation from the WTA / H+ Board

Eschatoon Magic eschatoon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 11:10:33 UTC 2008

Thanks for commenting Kevin,

As it often happens, it really depends on the meaning of the terms
used. As I wrote in a reply to Wesley Smith:

http://www.wesleyjsmith.com/blog/2007/01/give-me-that-new-transhumanist.html

"If religion is defined as "seeking to find transcendence and truth,
meaning and purpose", then I am ready and willing to accept the label
"religious". And as you say, I want to find it through scientific
means, or at least through means compatible with the scientific method
and worldview. If I don't *find* it, I want to *build* it following
the best examples in the history of our species and our civilization.
Science and engineering have taken us from caves to where we are now,
and there is no reason to think that this process should stop here."

But "religion" is more frequently used to include many other things,
including faith in the supernatural, irationality, belief in one or
more gods, dogmatism and intolerance, hatred for the infidels,
rejection of the scientific method, strict codes of behaviour, etc.,
which are completely alien to my mentality. In this sense, I do not
choose to see transhumanism as a religion. I often use the term
UNreligion.

G.