[ExI] the press and global warming: RE: Obama Transition Team Examining Space Solar Power

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 25 16:47:26 UTC 2008

>On Behalf Of hkhenson
>
>...But it is a sure thing that running out of energy
> will kill an awful lot of people... Keith

Surely so.  The back-to-nature crowd regales us with visions of the ultimate
triumph of the animal kingdom when our easy energy sources crash and our
vaunted advanced technologies fail us.  Missing is the realization that
wildlife is just as dependent upon modern advanced energy management as are
humans, if not moreso.  If our energy inefficient farming system collapses,
humans immediately devour the farm beasts, followed by the pets, followed by
the wild animals, from the largest first to the smallest eventually.

In that doomsday scenario, I could imagine homo sapiens as the largest
surviving land mammalian species (in two to three orders of magnitude
reduced numbers), with second place being down in the rat range.