[ExI] Kurzweil honored for inventing the Singularity

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 26 22:30:42 UTC 2008

>...On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
> In short: Just placing a flag, for memory, in a world where
> memory is effectively becoming extinct because there's too
> much of it swamping us... Damien Broderick

Astute observation, thanks Damien.  Yesterday I was musing at how we have no
photographs because we have too many of them.  There are only about a dozen
photos of me before the age of 3.  My parents had no camera in the early
60s, so any pix were taken by others and given to us.  My mother holds that
dozen photos among her most prized possessions.  She knows each photo.

We have thousands of photos of Isaac, but almost none of them are on paper,
so it is impossible to find any particular one, unless it happens to have
been printed out for some reason.  So now we have no photos because they are
lost among our many thousands.  A picture is worth a thousand words, but a
thousand digital pictures are worth nearly nothing.  It quickly becomes too
hard to find what you are looking for.