[ExI] Free Will

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 04:44:19 UTC 2008

At 09:42 PM 12/27/2008 -0500, Will wrote:

>the actual decisions are determined by physical law, no?

By contrast to what alternative? Metaphysical caprice? Quantum
indeterminacy? But as I commented, it *can't* mean "random"--nobody
thinks the experience of free choice implies the toss of a die. Or do
you? (I suppose a rigorous Many Worlds adherent might claim just
that, if it were assumed that *every* option is always instantiated,
including the option to be a potato orbiting Arcturus.)