[ExI] potato orbiting Arcturus

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 22:03:02 UTC 2008

At 09:41 PM 12/28/2008 +0100, Serafino wrote:

> > (I suppose a rigorous Many Worlds adherent might claim
> > just that, if it were assumed that *every* option is
> > always instantiated, including the option to be a potato
> > orbiting Arcturus.)
>
>This rigorous credo has been severely criticized

I know, I was being naughty--there's no direct path (that I can
discern, anyway) from the state of a person now on earth to
instantiation as a potato anywhere, let alone 11 parsecs away.

I like the comment

< I had fun a few years ago writing a section called "The Fewer
Worlds Theory of Quantum Mechanics" in a paper aimed, among other
things, at correcting certain popular misconceptions about quantum
mechanics and quantum computing (http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0702121).

Posted by: <http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0702121>Eleanor Rieffel >

Damien Broderick