[ExI] Quantum Obama

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 22:13:45 UTC 2008

from Scott Aaronson's Shtetl-Optimized blog:

December 26th, 2008

1. The CRA’s <http://www.cra.org/ccc/>Computing
Community Consortium, chaired by national
treasure <http://lazowska.cs.washington.edu/>Ed
Lasowska of the University of Washington,
recently put up a website with
<http://www.cra.org/ccc/initiatives>fifteen brief
essays about “Computing Research Initiatives for
the 21st Century.”  These essays will apparently
be reviewed by the science policy staff at the
Obama transition office.  Dave Bacon and I wrote
the
<http://www.cra.org/ccc/docs/init/Quantum_Computing.pdf>essay
on quantum computing­or rather, Dave wrote it
with his inimitable enthusiasm, and then I tried
in vain to moderate it slightly.  (When Dave told
me that President-elect Obama needed my help with
quantum computing policy, what was I going to
say?  “Sorry, I’m doing my laundry this weekend”?)