[ExI] Fusion (was Obama Transition Team Examining Space Solar Power)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 12:52:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM, John K Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> The trouble with the conventional approach to fusion, the Tokamak,
> is that even if you reach energy break even the machine would be so
> huge, complex, expensive, and hard to maintain that it may never be
> economic.

Mmhhh, "huge, complex, expensive, and hard to maintain" are all issues
which are typically solved by scale economies and technologica
progress. In any event, contrary to the opinion of many, all that
appears to create additional challenges which may well generate
beneficial byproducts...

My feasibility concerns have more to do with the growing "cultural"
and systemic inability of our societies to invest in long-term,
large-scale projects.

--
Stefano Vaj