[ExI] recent Doctor Who

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 31 19:31:03 UTC 2008

At 01:30 AM 12/31/2008 -0700, John Grigg wrote:

>What do you think of these shows...

Most of them, sorry, hopeless. A few are intentionally funny for a
while but get old fast.

>Babylon 5?

Dreadfully clunky most of the time, with stilted dialogue and wooden
delivery. Some nice visuals.

>Quantum Leap?

Mawkish and formulaic when not gratingly jocose, but had its moments.

>X-Files?

Compulsively viewable until it started to repeat itself, and destined
never to get anywhere.

>Stargate?

Probably the best of the 1940s-50s pulp magazine/comic remixes. Some
very impressive CGI, especially the Atlantis version.

>Journeyman? A great present day time travel series that was very
>emotionally engaging but only lasted 13 episodes, so frustrating.

Yeah, too intelligent and elliptical for a mass audience of fat food
slurpers. Bad luck.

>Futurama?

Seen three or four, seen 'em all. Enjoyable for a moment.

A series I thought had promise was Dark Skies, the UFO show set in
the '50s? early '60s? drawing on the UFOlogy abduction mythos, with
(scandalously!) Carl Sagan and maybe Donald Menzel as govt conspiracy
characters on the inside of the Majestic 12 program or something.
"History as we know it is a lie." With infesting alien brain-suckers
stolen from Heinlein's marvellous early novel THE PUPPET MASTERS.

Damien Broderick