[ExI] [wta-talk] LA Times: Unlimited space for untold sorrow

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 03:30:39 UTC 2008

On 06/02/2008, PJ Manney <pjmanney at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008 4:06 PM, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Really, if we are going to freak out about anything, it should be
> > heart disease & cancer. If you want to publicise anything, forget
> > homicides, put the heart disease and cancer stats on the telly each
> > night. "The heart disease death toll so far this holiday season has
> > climbed to 40,000 across the United States, an improvement on the same
> > month last year." [4] But then, who'd want to watch that? Horrible.
>
> My point was not at all about risk assessment.  We know human
> generally stink at it and neurologically, they can't help but stink.
> My point was about coming to grips with the realities of our
> communities: how they succeed, how they fail and gaining the empathy
> to, at a minimum, appreciate the victims' reality, or if possible, do
> something about it.  And you can only do that with accurate
> information.  The point of The Homicide Report is to provide missing
> information -- who are ALL the people murdered daily in LA County --
> and the stories behind their deaths.

I was replying to Amara's post really, not to your original one. I
just went and read the original articles and looked at the Homicide
Report - omfg. That's harrowing!

Conceptually, it's an excellent idea.

"This site flies in the face of the economics of attention". We need
more of this!

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com