[ExI] A Small Request [was Re: Impressive book: Farewell toAlms]

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 04:12:27 UTC 2008

On 09/02/2008, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Cool, thanks Stathis for summing up in a few words exactly where you and I
> disagree.  If I did the above, it doesn't matter where I think the voices
> are coming from. I might well some day just decided I hate my 9 to 5, and
> decide that I really like some random charity (highly unlikely, and I do
> recognize if I ever gave away my money, that would be a clear sign of stark
> raving insanity) and it doesn't matter what road I go on or what I preach
> there.  I want everyone to keep their evolution-damn paws off of me
> regardless, even if it is for my own good, and I don't want anyone having
> the legal authority to do anything against my will, even if my will is
> clearly crazed.  I accept the risk.  Others cannot hear the voices in my
> head.

What if you found this note from someone you care about:

"Dad, I realised yesterday that I am Jesus Christ and have to save the
world. It came to me when I saw the traffic light change from red to
green, a sign from God that it is now time to begin my mission. But of
course I will have to do something to prove to the world that I am not
crazy. Therefore, I have gone to the new 40 storey building in the
centre of town where I will jump off the top floor and land on my head
on the ground below, completely unharmed. Please don't worry about me
or try to stop me, for I have never been more certain of anything in
my whole life."

Would you resist having your son treated forcibly in the knowledge
that (a) he is crazy, (b) he will certainly die as a result of his
craziness, and (c) if he had a few days of antipsychotic treatment he
would return to normal and be utterly aghast at what he had been about
to do, and what you had been about to let him do?

And if you were wondering, I have put this example together from real
cases I have seen.

--
Stathis Papaioannou