[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 9 21:42:37 UTC 2008

> I have read that in the US 1% of the population now control
> 40% of the nation's wealth.

These kinds of comments always make it sound like the nation's wealth is a
fixed quantity.  The nation's wealth, and every nation's wealth increases
dramatically over time.  Compare your car to the ones that rich people drive
fifty years ago.  Compare your phone, your stereo, your camera, your overall
comfort of life to the ones your grandparents had when they were your age.
None of my grandparents even owned a computer, and look what that
development has done for all of us, that wonderfully versatile information
pipe that fires data into our brains at rates that would have made my
grandfather swoon.  Even the poor among us are rich, by the standards of the
rich only fifty years ago.