[ExI] A Small Request

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 04:50:57 UTC 2008

> I would point out that the American (as opposed to, say, the
> English) reaction was *never* to have such a role for government
> until the 20th century. And this change arose, I think, because of
> the anonymity of urban life, when in one sense people could
> become such complete individuals that they could no longer
> in any way to depend on family or friends, if that was their desire.

If you develop a brain tumour one of the effects of which is that you
don't believe there is anything wrong with you, would you (i.e. the
present, healthy you) want to be forced to have treatment? If so, who
should take responsibility for forcing you? And is it ethical if you
are then charged for treatment to which, at least at the time, you did
not consent?

--
Stathis Papaioannou