[ExI] the formerly rich and their larvae...

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Tue Feb 12 16:19:40 UTC 2008

Eugene:
>A very different world. Have you come across
>journeyman-style careers for *young* scientists lately?

Just a few years ago, I could have asked for some volunteers, when I was
in Rome, but the university where I was teaching is a liberal arts
university, none of the students were science majors, and most were
terrified of logarithms and cosines.

Notice the strong interest in SETI-at-home and the success of public
outreach that involves (at a deep level) the interest of the young
public. That should tell you something, that some mechanisms are still
in place in this fear-amplified world for young people to get involved.
Plus I think any scientist today would be happy to get volunteer help.
Of course the scientists can do a *much better* job advertising what
they need; I suggested exactly that line item for the EUROPLANET
resource locator/database. In my own local physical area, one local
institute whose funding comes in large part from public outreach funds
is the Space Sciences Institute.
http://www.spacescience.org/about_ssi/index.html All one needs is to
look around and investigate one's own interests, and try. And keep
trying.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado