[ExI] Best Distributed Computing Project to Support

Gary Miller aiguy at comcast.net
Wed Feb 27 02:29:15 UTC 2008

What distributed computing projects do the readers here feel are the most
Extropian or Transhumanist worthy.

I've currently got a 3.6 Ghz Pentium 4 and 1 core of an Intel 2.4 Ghz Q6600
crunching  <mailto:Folding at Home> Folding at Home.

The other 3 cores of the Q6600 are running BOINC  <mailto:Rosetta at Home>
Rosetta at Home.

Both are protein folding applications.

I ran cancer targets first at UD (United Devices) which finished in 2007 and
Find-A-Drug which finished  in 2005.

But no drugs to my knowledge have yet emerged from the data from either
project.

I'm thinking of buying a Playstation 3 to do  <mailto:Folding at Home>
Folding at Home on also.  I understand that the IBM cell processor and
the software written to do  <mailto:Folding at Home> Folding at Home on the
Playstation with help from Sony runs crunches proteins many
times faster than a Quad Core PC.

The reason I only run 1 core on each machine  <mailto:Folding at Home>
Folding at Home is because I've not been able to get the Intel multicore
version of the  <mailto:Folding at Home> Folding at Home  client stable on my
Vista machine although the single core runs fine.