[ExI] The Manifesto of Italian Transhumanists

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Feb 29 15:26:18 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 6:48 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have always been fascinated by how Transhumanistic ideas/cryonics, etc.,
> seem to find fertile ground in some nations/regions, but not others.  I
> would have thought Japan would strongly embrace Transhumanism but that has
> not been the case as far as I know.

Generally speaking, the Japanese have embraced promotion of human
values via increasingly effective technological means to an extent
significantly **exceeding** popular acceptance in the US, Canada, and
Europe.  I suspect that what your perceive as non-Transhumanism is the
relative deemphasis of child-like visions of individual attainment
(god-like powers, expanded hedonism, personal immortality) favored by
many in the west.

- Jef