[ExI] erections again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Tue Jan 1 02:53:54 UTC 2008

At 05:46 PM 12/31/2007 -0800, Spike wrote:

>I shared my concerns with a colleague today, who opined "Our election
>process is all fucked up."
>
>While being succinct, direct and unambiguous, I myself do not approve of
>such improper usage of the language.  I would have instead phrased it thus:
>"Our election process is all upwardly fucked."

Quite so. But if yr colleague had written "fucked over" you wouldn't
wish to rephrase that, would you, as "overly fucked"? When it comes
to elections, "fucked" is not a comparative.

Some quibblers will now claim that my analysis is up-fucked. I can
only advise them, in advance, offwardly to fuck.

Damien Broderick
[no infinitives were split in the making of this post]