[ExI] Asteroid on track for possible (probability of 1:25) Mars hit

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jan 1 20:41:49 UTC 2008

> To: ExI chat list
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Asteroid on track for possible (probability of 1:25)
>
> http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMC4JZ7QQE_0.html
> http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=19991
>

> Natasha

My fond hope was the asteroid would pass just over the surface of Mars,
close enough to the ground that the tenuous Martian atmosphere would scrub
off enough speed to slow the roid into a decaying elliptical orbit.  I did a
BOTEC that show this cannot happen, damn.  {8-[  The object is large enough
that it could skim the treetops, but still wouldn't lose enough velocity to
go elliptical.  Its a direct hit or nothing.