[ExI] Survival (was: elections again)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 2 17:27:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:01:10AM -0600, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> I think the miracle might be at Eugen's recent mention of

http://www.google.com/search?q=reprap

"We hope to announce self-replication in 2008, though the
machine can be built now - see the How-to-build-a-RepRap
link on the left."

Make that 2018, and I'll believe. Including control electronics,
of course. The result has to walk off the assembly platform
on own power.

> self-rep "unity" meaning that the repper can make itself. That's pretty
> close to a miracle-- celebrated in human societies as "the miracle of
> life."

The miracly is mostly in the control domain, all the other
parts would be vanilla. Of course, the smaller you can make it,
and the less supportive the context, the more interesting things
start to become.