[ExI] Survival (was: elections again)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 2 18:32:14 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 09:51:56AM -0600, Bryan Bishop wrote:

> I doubt even a hacked cell would be able to exhibit the level of
> molecular control that we're all hoping MNT will eventually bring. This

Of course not, but synthetic/molecular biology is the strongest tool we
currently have in the bootstrap toolbox.

> is because biomolecular manipulation is built from amino acids and
> proteins, with a necessarily restricted possibility space known as
> organic- and bio- chemistry. Hopefully MNT will be able to do more.

One of the possible bootstrap routes is to use enzymatic assemblies
in hydrated compartments which extrude linear monomers into an UHV or
argon atmosphere (eutactic, in the MNT jargon). Crosslinking during
controlled dehydration are also an option. For everything else there's
proximal probe with functionalized tips and NEMS.

To me it looks like a highly potent soup.