[ExI] Survival

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Thu Jan 3 16:44:28 UTC 2008

"Stathis Papaioannou" <stathisp at gmail.com>

> When it comes to persuading me to do something I
> wouldn't normally do it isn't at all clear that any
> speech will work.

Of course ANY speech won't work, but I am certain there have been times
in your life where a mere human being has found a speech to persuade
or trick you into doing something that you now know to be foolish.
Mr. AI will be many many orders of magnitude better at this sort of
manipulation than any human in history.

Even Extropians are not immune from this sort of thing. Although we don't
like to think so we are of the same species as millions of Germans, some
very intelligent, who were persuaded into doing all sorts of bizarre stupid
and self destructive things. If you really have the gift of gab you can even
make that crap seem like a good idea. Mr. AI will have the gift of gab in
spades.

 John K Clark