[ExI] bishop warns of no-go areas

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 6 19:25:36 UTC 2008

> To: 'ExI chat list'
> Subject: Re: [ExI] bishop warns of no-go areas
>

> Spike said: >> "Tourists do not need such a map in the states, for it
> isn't really a particular religion to avoid.  If a tourist vacations here,
> anyone anywhere might shoot her." >>
>
> I realize this was meant as sarcasm but it does perpetuate a myth... Gary

Well, actually snarkasm, a dark-humor reference to the crime situation in
one of our well known big cities.  Short version: the police chief realized
that crime could not be completely eliminated, but could be controlled.  He
made a deal with the gangs, parolees and freelance criminals, an uneasy
truce: their territory was 64th down to the waterfront.  As long as they
stayed in that area, they could do whatever they wanted, the cops would do
nothing.  Rent was very cheap down there, organized crime ruled over the
entire area, using capital punishment early and often.  If a known criminal
committed any crime outside that area, or even wandered outside that
territory, the cops could shoot the bastard on sight, fair game.  Outside
that area, the city was safe.  If a citizen wandered into that area, it was
assumed that she was looking for trouble, going to see a prostitute, buy
illegal booze, pharmaceuticals, etc.  If she was raped or mugged down there,
then the cops would do nothing, since the citizen who went there knew the
risks.  The situation was stable, even if not entirely satisfactory.

Idealistic young chief of police comes to town, decides to clean up the
city, all of it.  Now 64th to the river is no more dangerous than any other
neighborhood.  One can be raped or mugged anywhere in the city.