[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 9 04:46:25 UTC 2008

At 08:41 PM 1/8/2008 -0700, Keith H. wrote:

>One of the things which falls out is that the past is as uncertain as
>the future.  I.e., *many* pasts could have contributed to the current
>reality (whatever that happens to be).

Not my point, though, which is that the way MWI is usually presented,
it's many *orthogonal presents* that contribute
to/constitute/comprise the observed reality. Therefore it seems to me
improper to peel off one of these superposed alternatives and say,
"Hey, that's the one I'm living in!" If that were possible, we should
be seeing lots of events that *don't* follow least energy
trajectories (which are always a composite). Unless, of course, we
do, but the macro-scale of what we usually observe is a statistical
blur of such weird dog leg tracks. But that's not what I read in
Feynman, say. What you see is what *every* "you" gets, all nicely cohered.

Damien Broderick