[ExI] Clark abstract

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Jan 9 04:55:27 UTC 2008

Keith writes

> Which brings up a recursive point.  What is the
> evolutionary origin of the reluctance in some
> groups to make reference to ethnic or cultural
> groups?

Why ask for an EP explanation of a very recent *fashion*?
Throughout most of history there has been little or no
reluctance to discuss group differences.

Of course, every behavior is facilitated by *some*
evolutionarily derived organ, and this is no different.
May I suggest that reluctance to discuss race and
gender differences in the West is powered by
altruism, the sort that makes one reluctant to
discuss the possible shortcomings of friends and
associates?

The real question is why the West recently adopted such
a novel and peculiar fashion. The Greek, Roman, medieval,
Muslim, and many other societies have had no qualms at all
exploring such inquiries.  And the answer, again, I suggest,
is that many in the West have adopted a love for all of
humanity, and so are thereby in all too many cases positively
afraid to look at any evidence of group differences, in fear of
significant difference that might be found.

Lee