[ExI] A Simulation Argument

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 20:24:49 UTC 2008

>  The theory I posted proposes an answer.
> Observation-induced wave collapse is a process
> utilized in the visual rendering of computer-
> generated virtual realities (VRs). In computer
> graphics it's known as 'occlusion culling', though I
> like the term 'on-call rendering'. Rendering the raw
> data for an object into a visible representation of
> the object taxes finite system resources. So if
> you're panning your VR eyes around a VR landscape
> producing views on your computer screen of selected
> portions of the whole VR model, all objects outside
> the viewing screen are not rendered. Only if an
> object can be observed are its properties made
> discrete, or localized.

 Let me try to wrap that up in two 'rules'. Given the
double-slit experiment (VR = a computer-generated
virtual reality of the type we've created):

  * If a photon becomes observable,
    then its position becomes manifest.

  * If a VR object becomes observable,
    then its position becomes manifest.

 So 'wave collapse' and 'occlusion culling' *seem* on
the surface (ie, prima facie) to share some kind of
similarity. The wording of the above 'rules' could
probably be debated. But sometimes a rough general
sense of things can reveal important meta-connections
that could be obscured in detailed micro-analyses. For
example, I doubt that occlusion culling in today's
computer VRs would upon micro-analysis within one,
look exactly like wave collapse in our world. But the
meta-point is that in a broader sense, wave collapse
seems like *some kind* of observation-affected
occlusion culling, almost surely (if we're in a sim)
of a type far more advanced than any VR we've made.

 So it seems as if the nonlocal superposition of
Schrodinger's cat may in some way be similar to the
nonlocal 'superposition' of VR objects left unrendered
outside a user's viewing screen, and that are only
localized only if they become observable. ~Ian

http://IanGoddard.net

"What is 'real'? How do you define 'real'? If you are
talking about what you feel, smell, taste, and see,
then 'real' is merely electrical signals interpreted
by your brain." - Morpheus