[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 10 00:07:59 UTC 2008

At 04:53 PM 1/9/2008 -0600, Bryan wrote:

> > If you read:
> >   Path integrals and quantum interference
> >   A. O. Barut and S. Basri
> >   Amer. Jour. Physics, Vol. 60, n 10, pp. 896-899, (1992)
>
>Also try the Feynman and Hibbs path integral book.

Where we read:

"The concept of interfering alternatives is fundamental to all of
quantum mechanics.... suppose that information about the alternatives
is available (or could be made available without altering the
result), but this information is not used. Nevertheless, in this case
a sum of probabilities (in the ordinary sense) must be carried out
over exclusive alternatives. These exclusive alternatives are those
which could have been separately identified by the information." (p.14)

"...there is a quantity called a probability amplitude associated
with every method whereby an event in nature can take place... we can
associate an amplitude with the overall event by adding together the
amplitudes of each alternative method... Next, we interpret the
absolute square of the overall amplitude as the probability that the
event will happen." (p. 19)

So yes, Serafino, "that [is] a mixture of MWI and path integral
formalism"... to my untutored eye.

The dreaded Sarfatti comments, without providing a reference to Albert:

<David Albert has shown that one can beat the Heisenberg uncertainty
principle for special pairs of incompatible observables in a
"self-measurement" which also involves "photographs of other worlds"
violating the dogma of Everett's original meta-theory of "many
worlds" for the meaning of quantum mechanics. Everett mistakenly
assumed that conscious observers could never be aware of their
parallel selves in the "universes next door". >

Damien Broderick