[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:56:06 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 4:43 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> At 01:33 PM 1/10/2008 -0500,   John K Clark wrote:
>
> > > Some commentators deny that Everett's model meant entire universes
> > > due to relativistic constraints, if for no other reason.
> >
> >I don't see how relativistic constraints enter into it.
>
> How can you instantaneously split into two or more versions an
> *entire universe* with a radius of tens of billions of light years?
> How could the news propagate everywhere so quickly? But if it
> doesn't, if this is just a constrained bubble that spreads at c or
> slower, and attenuates by inverse square and chaotic rambles and
> stray quantum blurts, how can you say the *universe* has split?

### If the bubble grows at c and engulfs you, then all you would ever
see is one of the newly generated universe branches that split from
the original, and you can never even see the original universe before
the split - even the photons that originated from a distant galaxy
could be affected by the results of the split (minute displacements of
atoms and gravitational or other fields that can affect the
propagation of light in space). So, from your perspective, the whole
universe split, both what you can find out about its past and the
future you can affect. And the split doesn't attenuate, I think - to
the contrary, it may amplify, as per the "butterflies and hurricanes"
argument.

Rafal