[ExI] "create our own realities"

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 15:23:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008 9:58 AM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2008 3:52 PM, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So are they changing the universe, or changing themselves and their
> > perception of it?
>
> Is there a real difference? Idealist philosophy denies that.
> Phenomenism denies that.
>
> The problem with "one's own reality" is that some techniques to change
> it do not really prevent other, harder  aspects of your own reality
> from biting back your bottom, or however the American say goes... :-)

Thanks for continuing this line of thought.

If I become convinced through some personal observation that deli
mustard is poisonous, and refuse to consume it (and perhaps try to
convince others to also avoid it) - am I 'creating' a new reality or
am I simply delusional?  A statistically significant population does
not share my belief.  Since the status quo is a majority-rules
interpretation of 'reality' then I am likely denied any validity in my
belief.  Consider the first person to die from a peanut allergy.
Their belief of the poisonous nature of an otherwise harmless
substance (eg: PB&J sandwich, harmlessly fed to children every day)
was corroborated by death from consuming it.  Now does the majority
believe there may be some "real" issue with peanuts?  Do I have to die
from deli mustard in order to validate my seemingly irrational fear?
What other beliefs are held by a minority and ridiculed because
they're not popular enough?  You know, such things as a belief in the
Singularity or Transhumanism.  ;)

btw - I enjoy deli mustard and used it for illustrative purposes only