[ExI] Home turbines can't light a candle

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 12 06:34:28 UTC 2008

> Stefano Vaj
> Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 2:56 PM
> Subject: [ExI] Home turbines can't light a candle
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/07/microwind_chocolate_teapot/
>
> Home turbines can't light a candle
> A puny wind
> By Andrew Orlowski
>
> Domestic "microwind" turbines, recently championed as "power
> from the people" by opposition leader David Cameron, are
> about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
>
> A study of domestic turbines was published by renewable
> energy consultants Encraft in December. According to the
> study, only one of the 15 household wind turbines generated
> enough to power a 75W light bulb...

Wind turbines are the wrong technology for this application, but so are 75
watt light bulbs.  In the future we will surely light our homes with white
LEDs, along with devices that automatically turn them off when no one is in
the room.  Yes I know it is difficult to read by white LED.  I am not
arguing that fully renewable energy living will be as comfortable as it is
now, but rather that it is possible.