[ExI] Home turbines can't light a candle

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jan 12 14:20:03 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 10:34:28PM -0800, spike wrote:

> Wind turbines are the wrong technology for this application, but so are 75

You still have light bulbs?

> watt light bulbs.  In the future we will surely light our homes with white

Why wait? I'm very happy with my LED pilot (and rather happy with my HQI
metal halides), and plan more LEDs, especially now high-lumen LED strips
and matching heatsinks are getting cheaper.

> LEDs, along with devices that automatically turn them off when no one is in
> the room.  Yes I know it is difficult to read by white LED.  I am not

Hey, that's exactly what my motion-sensor equipped LED lamp does for
nightly trip to the loo.

> arguing that fully renewable energy living will be as comfortable as it is
> now, but rather that it is possible.

I'm arguing the very opposite. The costs for nonrenewable energy can only
rise (and boy, how they do, I'm so happy for the 20-year fixed-term
geothermal contract instead of gas, and electricity has gone up 10% just
January this year), while renewables can only sink. Given that we're living
in an energy glut (1.3 kW/m^2), I can eventually afford spending MW on
computation, while right now I'm unhappy with a single 1/4 kW home server
box (nevermind the 1/2 kW I burn in the rack (which, however, is 100%
renewable), which is still almost empty).