[ExI] Malthusian Environment and head lice [Was Re: Not Dollar a gallon gas was Rationality and Irrationality]

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at yahoo.it
Sat Jan 12 23:46:40 UTC 2008

Kevin Freels ha scritto:
>> The point of dollar a gallon gas posting was to simulate hard number
>> discussion about real engineering, not endless political
>> bickering.  Maybe it's just not the right time of year for serious discussion.
>>
> Good point.
>> Did anyone read the web site about selection in the English
>> Malthusian environment?
>>

> Working on it. Was planning to do it last night but I came to find out
> that my tween daughters had been invaded by a very successful and
> specialized parasite - head lice. We spent several hours nit-picking the
> lousy nit-wits and I haven't found the time since. These little beasties
> are rather interesting. 3 different species affect three specific parts
> of the body and no others. Head lice don't populate body or pubic areas,
> Pubic lice don't get into hair. Intuition suggests that lice should have
> become generalists as the human body hair gradually reduced over time.
> Instead we ended up with three specific species. This may suggest that
> our loss of body hair was rather rapid. Of course, getting all of that
> out of a brief run in with lice on my children's hair is probably a
> stretch. Maybe I should just shut the brain down and watch TV a bit
> more. lol

There is an interesting article around about the co-evolution of the
three populations of lice and the humans (and now we know when we become
naked apes and when we invented the clothes).

Mirco
--
[Intangible capital is] the preponderant form of wealth.
When we look at the shares of intangible capital across income classes,