[ExI] A Simulation Argument

Ian Goddard iamgoddard at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 05:03:42 UTC 2008

BillK  wrote:

>>  By physical necessity, everything you've ever
>> perceived is a simulation of your external world
>> produced by and in your brain from sensory data
>> received from your external world. Your brain is a
>> biological computer. Therefore, everything you've
>> perceived is a computer-generated simulation. And
>> so the intricate dynamic complexity of the
>> perceived universe is not evidence against the
>> ability of a computer to create such an
>> environment. QED ~Ian
>

> Of course. But the basic flaw is; if we are
> existing in a computer simulation, who created the
> simulation?
> And the same logic applies to him/it. i.e. He/it
> may also be living in a computer simulation.
>
> It's simulations all the way down.

 There's no inherent tower of turtles in sim-theory.
The hypothesis that our visible universe is
computer-generated is not a theory about the origins
of reality, or everything. For example, the hypothesis
that some 'God' created the whole of reality begs the
question about the creation of that god, raising the
'tower of turtles' problem. But simulation theory
makes claim about how reality was created, it just
proposes that our universe isn't reality.

 Another way to look at it is this: suppose we created
a computer sim with aware occupants. They would not
engage the tower-of-turtles problem were they to posit
that they were in a simulation. ~Ian

http://IanGoddard.net

"What is 'real'? How do you define 'real'? If you are
talking about what you feel, smell, taste, and see,
then 'real' is merely electrical signals interpreted
by your brain." - Morpheus