[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Wed Jan 16 03:49:29 UTC 2008

Stathis writes

> Thus each quantum measurement does not lead to [on one reading]
> a duplication of worlds spreading out at light speed, but to a
> differentiation as previously identical observers notice they are in
> distinct worlds.

I am sure that this is the version David Deutsch endorses.

> I believe this kind of multiverse is observationally
> indistinguishable for an observer embedded within it to the
> duplicating kind (or to a single universe with a collapsing wave
> function).

I submit that "the duplicating kind" arose only from poor word
choice.  I admit that "duplicate" or "to duplicate" carries the
connotation of doubling certain quantites (e.g. runtime, mass,
etc.).  But this was an error:  I doubt if Hugh Everett, for example,
ever entertained the idea that the universe suddenly doubles
in mass every 1/10^100 seconds.

Lee