[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 10:19:32 UTC 2008

> I submit that "the duplicating kind" arose only from poor word
> choice.  I admit that "duplicate" or "to duplicate" carries the
> connotation of doubling certain quantites (e.g. runtime, mass,
> etc.).  But this was an error:  I doubt if Hugh Everett, for example,
> ever entertained the idea that the universe suddenly doubles
> in mass every 1/10^100 seconds.

Well, that's what I thought, but in the past few days I've tried to
find clarification on this and the accounts I've read from various
sources are either vague or contradictory.

Incidentally, if the worlds differentiate rather than duplicate, does
this worry you? For even if it could somehow be guaranteed that you
never died in any branch in which you are presently alive, the process
of differentiation means you and your near-copies would occupy an
ever-thinning slice of the multiverse. I doubt that you could prevent
this happening even if you attempted to convert as much of the
universe as possible into copies of yourself.

--
Stathis Papaioannou