[ExI] Many Worlds (was: A Simulation Argument)

Kevin Freels kevin at kevinfreels.com
Tue Jan 22 06:49:59 UTC 2008

> Oh? He wrote:
>
> "It's important to point out (on my understanding of what Lee is
> saying) that the worlds don't actually halve, double or undergo any
> other special process at all when the "split" occurs. Say there are
> two identical versions of you, A and B, contemplating a quantum coin
> toss. Because A and B are identical, there is no way for you to say
> that you are one or the other. After the coin toss, A sees heads and B
> sees tails."

And how about C - who has the coin that lands on its side and rolls off
into the distance?
> So even before the quatum toss, there are already two separate
> instantiations of you, eh? This will not bother Stathis, who  (I
> gather) doesn't see any problem with starting out with infinite
> variations that just get infiniter. But it disagrees with most of
> what I've read about MW, such as Michael Price's FAQ:

"Infiniter" - You should add that to the urban dictionary. lol
> <Can we regard the separate worlds that result from a
> measurement-like interaction (See
> <http://www.hedweb.com/manworld.htm#measurement>"What is a
> measurement?") as having previous existed distinctly and merely
> differentiated, rather than the interaction as having split one world
> into many? This is definitely not permissible in many-worlds or any
> theory of quantum theory consistent with experiment. >

I have a question that may seem odd. Given how this works, if I were to
throw a tennis ball at a brick wall, there is an extremely small
possibility that the ball would pass through the wall. OK - not just
extremely small, but extraordinarily small. Each particle in the ball
would have to have the odds line up in favor of this on the same throw,
but it's still more likely than impossible. So is another world created
where the ball actually passes through?

Another. Fingerprints are random. So is there a "me" born with every
possible pattern?

This may have already been answered or may be silly questions, but I
haven't put as much study into "many worlds" as I would like since I
have other topics that interest me more - you know - like problems I can
actually solve.....